Tuesday 18 September 2007

Shanghai unconference

An interesting night. Unable to go to Shanghai I delivered my presentation, with the help of Eugenie Morley and Danielle Markland , to an audience at the Conference from my office at 2.45 AM this morning ( 9.45 Shanghai time!)

We used a normal Skype web cam video link which connected to Danielle's laptop and her web cam. This projected onto the Conference screen with my image on one side, the blog I was working from next to it and Skype Chat open for comments and links. People in the audience were on their laptops using the blog and links to explore while I was talking and Eugenie was taking in and responding to comments on her own Skype Chat. Participants were also Twittering about the session. I was actually chatting on Skype at the time with a guy in Chicargo who was following the Conference on Twitter and was hoping for a SkypeCast so he could join in ... perhaps next time.

As I was talking to people I recorded the session in a Podium podcast. To listen to a completely unedited version of the podcast about RUWEB 2.0. copy the hyperlink below and paste it into your favourite podcast player (e.g. iTunes).

http://www.dougdickinson.co.uk/podcast/DougDickinso190907161827/rss.xml

So really low tech as far as video conferencing was concerned but certainly fit for purpose.

My thanks to Danielle and Eugenie for handling the setting up in Shanghai and thanks to the Confernece organisers for publicising the event and sorting space in their crowded programme.

No comments: